A few weeks ago EcoTech Marine released a little bit of teaser information regarding their newest product, the high-end XR30w LED light system. Well, EcoTech is teasing us a little more by giving us full specs on the light, but unfortunately still no images. What we do know about the light is that it will feature 5-channel control of both color and intensity and a lot of LEDs, including Cree XP-G Cool White, Cree XP-E BLUE, Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs, Cree XP-E Green LEDs, and finally Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs. Each of the LEDs will run at 3watts, with the only exception being the Cree XP-G Cool Whites which will run at 5watts. Many hobbyists may scoff at the idea of green and red LEDs in a light fixture used over reef aquariums, but the combination of red, green, and blue (or RGB) LEDs allows for an immense number of color possibilities allowing hobbyists to fine tune the overall look of their aquarium or maximize light output.
Some other nifty, ok totally AWESOME, features of the new XR30w from EcoTech Marine include wireless connectivity with both VorTech pumps and other Radion fixtures. Additionally, the Radion will have USB connectivity and is compatible with the EcoTech Battery Backup. These fixtures will measure only 11.8” x 7” and are designed to replace one 250watt metal halide. The Radion is also designed to sufficiently cover an area of 2ft x 2ft, though I’m sure with a little adjusting of the height, it could adequately illuminate a slightly larger area.
There are a ton of more details after the page break, along with the full press release by EcoTech Marine.
EcoTech Marine Introduces the Radion XR30w LED Light
September 1, 2011, Bethlehem PA – EcoTech Marine is proud to announce its latest product, the Radion XR30w.
True to EcoTech Marine design standards, the functionality of Radion matches its sleek aesthetic. Created with the most discerning hobbyist in mind, the Radion includes top quality Cree and Osram LEDs and features fully adjustable color and intensity.
“The Radion represents what we believe will be the next step for aquarium lighting: a smarter, easier to use, and more energy efficient alternative to existing lighting products,” said Tim Marks, president of EcoTech Marine. “Our hope is that our customers will enjoy the extensive thought and care put into the design of every feature, function, and the distinctive appearance of the Radion.”
Radion was purpose-built to be upgradeable both through its modular driver and LED cluster design, modular optics, as well as its USB firmware.
“Our goal was to deliver a product with the ability to evolve and get better over time, not become obsolete,” said Marks. “As technology moves forward, the Radion will be upgraded with new functionality in addition to what it has right out of the box.”
Radion is an innovative addition to the EcoTech Marine line of VorTech pumps and aquarium products. With advanced features packed into an efficient and stylish product, the Radion is an LED that looks every bit as good as it performs.
Radion will be available by the end of October through EcoTech Marine’s network of retail outlets around the country and will debut at the upcoming MACNA trade show in Des Moines, IA on September 9.
Radion XR30w dimensions
* Length: 11.8 in (30m)
* Width: 7 in (18cm)
* Thickness: 1.5” (3.9cm)
* 5-channel control of color and intensity, 6-channel capable
* 8x Cree XP-G Cool White LEDs run at 5w each
* 8x Cree XP-E Blue LEDs run at 3w each
* 10x Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs run at 3w each
* 4x Cree XP-E Green LEDs run at 3w each
* 4x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs run at 3w each
* RGB LED configuration allows infinite color possibilities
* Integrates wirelessly with VorTech pumps and other Radion fixtures
* USB Connectivity
* Computer configurable advanced settings
* Compatible with EcoTech Battery Backup
* 34 Energy-efficient LEDs
* Fully adjustable for intensity and color appeal
* Output engineered for wide dispersion of light
* Minimal color banding through optimized optics
* Modular LED cluster, lens, and driver assemblies
* Fully upgradeable with evolving software and firmware
* Capacitive touch exterior controls
* Revolutionary heat sink design allows the Radion to be sleek
* Switching power supply for 110-220v operation
* EcoSmart™ multi-light wireless functionality
* Easy import and export of saved modes for online sharing
* Extremely quiet fan operation
* Real-time clock
Note: Basic hanging kit supplied with light. Premium hanging kit sold separately.
* One Radion fixture is comparable to one 250w metal halide
* Generally, one Radion fixture should be used per 40 gallons (150L) of water volume.
* Approximate surface coverage is 24×24 inches (60x60cm)
Radion XR30w MSRP