We have become obsessed with this aquarium.
Last week, we shared the news of the huge leak on Bill Wann’s aquarium, which just so happens to be the largest private reef aquarium in the US. While this story quickly shot to the top of our list of most read articles, it also came with numerous questions about the tank itself. You guys wanted to know the intricacies of the massive 20,000 gallon aquarium system, so we went out and dug up this video laying out all of those details in the best way possible…a personal tour from Bill himself.
The video was part of a series called “The Coolest Thing I’ve Ever Made” and the tank fits right into that category because Bill fabricated nearly everything on the system, including the protein skimmers, controller, and even the reverse osmosis system.
Highlights about the system:
- 20,160 gallons
- 24’L x 10’W x 10’H
- $500-700K estimated price tag up to this point
- Two 2 1/2″ thick acrylic windows that way a ton each
- $1200 per month electric bill
- Protein skimmers custom built by Bill himself
- House designed around the aquariums
- Plans to build an aquarium four times the size of this one