Looking for a job in the aquarium industry and have event planning experience? A few days ago MASNA posted a full time position as an Events Manger for MACNA on their Facebook page. The applicant must have a 4 year degree in Event Management or other applicable degree or equivalent experience and be a Certified Meeting Professional (CMP).
Position Title: MACNA Manager
- Organization: Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA)
- Type of Employment: Full Time Employee, Salary, Exempt
- Employment Requirement: Must be eligible to work in the United States of America, be able to travel nationally & internationally
- Primary Location: Open, continental United States
- Educational Requirement: Event Management / other applicable four-year degree, or equivalent experience. CMP certified
- Experience: 1-3 years
- Tavel: 4 weeks / year
Salary: Base $30,000 per annum, bonus, reimbursed travel, 160 hours paid vacation leave, sick leave. Expanded below.
The MACNA Manager – Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) is responsible for the planning, development, and execution of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), online and onsite education events, and MACNA Committee meetings. This position has a great deal of autonomy, reports directly to the MASNA President, and has no direct reports at this time. This person should have basic meeting planning experience in multi-day, multi-speaker events, contract negotiation and management, and have worked in or have knowledge of, or with, an association or other non-profit, membership-based organization. A four-year degree and CMP are preferred.
Deadline: June 30, 2016.
Primary duties and responsibilities are as follows:
ANNUAL CONVENTION. 1. In conjunction with HelmsBriscoe prepare, solicit and secure RFP’s from potential annual convention sites; visit, inspect and analyze properties and make recommendation to the MASNA Board. Responsible for contract negotiations and fulfillment. 2. Planning, implementing and managing annual conference functions, on time and within budget. 3. Define and establish procedures and policies for MACNA. 4. Handles execution of all convention events, including financial, timelines, scripts, speakers, sponsorship, promotion, audio visual/production, contractors, hotel, catering, guest rooms, registration arrangements, administrative, and staffing. 5. Assist in the development of programs and budgets, forecast revenue and expenses, supervise and monitor expenditures, prepare Profit and Loss Statement for each event, determine measures for success. 6. Responsible for database registration process for annual conference. 7. Works with Director of Membership to create database forms for event. 8. Works with graphic artist for creation and distribution of marketing, sponsorship prospectus, registration and onsite educational materials for event. 9. Oversees post-event debriefings with staff and volunteers.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS. 1. Prepare and present, if necessary, reports from MACNA and assigned Committees. 2. Attend all Board Meetings.
1. Serve as the primary staff liaison to the MACNA Committee. 2. Assures that all progress reports for Association board meetings are accurate, complete and on time. 3. Maintains positive relationships with Committee Chair(s) and Committee Members, and works to keep them focused and enthusiastic about meeting their goals.
1. Responsible for reviewing website to ensure all meeting and event information is accurate. 2. Train and supervise volunteers for special and ongoing projects relating to meetings and events. 3. Responsible for keeping abreast on trends in meeting planning/management; use information to make recommendations or put into practice. 4. Represent association at member and networking events – continue strong member relations and meet with prospect members. 5. Maintain a cooperative and close working relationship with staff, members, committees and boards. 6. Assist with the review of programs & services offered to the association membership and making program recommendations. 7. Responsible for any and all other assignments that might be periodically or permanently assigned by the MASNA President.
1. Advertising. 2. Signage and directionals, including electronic boards. 3. Product solicitation for raffles. 4. Coordinating volunteer and contract event staff. 5. Knowledge of cash control procedures. 6. Develops and conducts exhibitor and attendee surveys to improve overall experience and efficiency. 7. Works with decorator, labor and general contractors to define needs and negotiate drayage and labor rates. 8. Coordinates program book for show. 9. Works with production crew to coordinate electronic recording and post-production of speaker presentations.
Required technical skills and knowledge:
Proficient in using database management software programs, preferably Event Espresso in WordPress. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Software, including Word, Excel and Outlook. Knowledge of website management.
May require evening and weekend work during certain periods of the year. In addition, the position requires travel to the annual conference, Board meetings, and other required meeting/events during the year.
This position will require domestic and international travel to multiple locations. This includes travel for future annual convention site inspections, meetings with local contacts for planned annual conventions, and for the promotion of the upcoming annual conference.
Total remuneration package:
$30,000 per annum, paid bi-monthly. Eligible for an annual bonus based off of the profits made from the annual convention. Compensation for travel costs incurred. 160 hours of paid vacation time per year.
Job break down:
- 60% Event Coordination and Exhibitor Communication
- 10% Exhibitor Recruiting & Attendee Growth,
- 10% Attendee Coordination & Promotion,
- 10% Public Relations,
- 10% Administrative Tasks & other duties as assigned.
More details and the application can be found here on the MASNA website.