Maxspect may not be reinventing foam fractionation but they have redefined the protein skimmer with its foray into the very competitive protein skimmer market.
The Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600 Protein Skimmer is the world’s first dual-intake, dual-needle wheel protein skimmer. The skimmer is powered by Maxspect’s Turbine Duo 9K. Like many new pumps, the Duo 9K is a DC controllable pump that offers high performance and near-silent operation. What makes the Duo 9K different is the dual needle wheel and dual intake design but this is just the start of what makes the skimmer so unique. Keep reading below to learn about all other features that make this skimmer worth consideration.
For starters, the AD600 has a built-in float switch. When the collection cup reaches maximum skimmate capacity then the skimmer will automatically shut itself off. This is especially useful when you decide to turn off your return pump or when you are away and the skimmer fills up. Once the float switch returns to its normal position, the pump will resume operation after a few seconds. If you’re using the Syna-G app, you will be alerted on your mobile device if the float switch is triggered. How cool is that?
The collection cup has a handle on the side, making it easier to grip and remove & replace the cup from the skimmer neck. The skimmer collection also includes a drain fitting so an optional waste reservoir can be added. The Aeroaqua includes an adjustable gate valve dial so you can easily change the water level for precise control of the foam inside the skimmer.
The skimmer can be easily disassembled for cleaning and maintenance by loosening the thumbscrews in each corner and the entire skimmer body can be removed. The base is molded to hold the pump in place so you can slide it in and out for maintenance.
Other Notable Features:
- The DC controllable Maxspect Turbine Duo 9K pump has a centrally mounted motor spindle that drives the impellers on each side.
- The patented dual needle wheel design has a spinning needle wheel and a stationary one. This combination produces much finer, more concentrated bubbles for more efficient waste removal.
- The dual intakes can be configured so the Aeraqua Duo can function as a recirculation skimmer to really strip your water of organics. So rather than having both intakes draw in water from the sump, you can have one side draw water from the sump while the other side recirculates water within the skimmer.
- The 1st of it’s kind air silencer has been integrated into the bottom panel of the skimmer where the sound is further insulated by the water around it.
- A special integrated bubble trap prevents annoying micro-bubbles from escaping into your sump. This can be a problem for poorly designed skimmers.
- The bowl-shaped bubble diffuser reduces turbulence to direct air upward instead of outward so bubbles and dissolved organics rise easily through the body up into the collection cup.
- The innovative pipeless design saves precious real estate inside the sump.
- There are hash mark measurements on the side of the skimmer in both centimeters and inches which are useful since different sumps have different depths. There is also a white indicator to show you where the “sweet spot” is.
- The air hoses are integrated into the body of the skimmer for a seamless look and feel.
The controller included with the Aeraqua Duo can be used to perform a variety of functions. The controller includes a feed mode option, a 24-hour program schedule for when you want the skimmer to run or not to run. The controller also has a start delay. By adding Maxspect’s Integrated Controller 6 (IV6) to the equation, the skimmer can be controlled wirelessly from the Syna-G app using any Android or Apple (iOS) device. With this, you can be alerted on your phone if the float switch is triggered in the collection cup.
AERAQUA DUO AD600 SPECIFICATIONS
- HEAVY – 150 gallon aquariums
- MEDIUM – 200 gallon aquariums
- LIGHT – 300 gallon aquariums
- Energy Consumption: 40 Watts (max)
- Footprint: 10.2” x 8.3” (260 x 210 Millimeters)
- Height: 22.2” (565 Millimeters)
- Sump Water Level: 7 to 9.5” (18 to 24 Centimeters)
- Air Intake: 396 Gallons Per Hour (1,500 Liters Per Hour)
- Water Intake: 634 Gallons Per Hour (2,400 Liters Per Hour)
AERAQUA DUO FEATURES YOU’LL LOVE
- Near-Silent Operation
- Integrated Pipeless Design
- Super Small Footprint
- Precision Front Dial
- Dual Intake
- Dual Needle Wheel
- Air/Water Recirculation
- Overflow Protection
- Quick Release Collection Cup
- DC Flow Control
- Wireless Capabilities
- iOS/Android App Control
- Feed Mode
- Start Delay
AD600 protein skimmers should begin shipping from authorized Maxspect dealers this coming week and retail pricing is $649.99 and ours are arriving on October 21st.