I recently received an email from Michael Hall, President of Aqua Digital Inc which is the distributor for GHL ProfiLux GmbH, with a ton of product information and pictures of the new GHL ProfiLux 3 aquarium controller.
After pouring through countless threads on aquarium forums and reading tons of documents on these controllers, I have been absolutely blown away. The possibilities you can achieve with the ProfiLux 3 controller are limitless. For example, with this new ProfiLux controller, you could operate up to 255 devices via the Profilux Aquatic Bus, or PAB. In addition to being able to operate any device you could ever imagine having on your aquarium, the PAB also has built-in error detection making sure that components of the system are working properly. And if for whatever reason a device does fail, the error detection software in the PAB will force it to fail in a safe manner, protecting your aquarium and the rest of your equipment.
The Profilux 3 can also be controlled by any house automation system that uses a RS232 connection. GHL, according to their product release notes and articles, believes that this technology shouldn’t just be limited to your aquarium. It is a large investment and they don’t feel the product’s abilities should be restricted. This stance is further stressed by the fact that the cable length between two PAB devices can be almost 400 feet long, depending on the wiring configuration of course. This allows you to put the controller anywhere in your house…assuming the distance you’re wanting to put the controller is less than 400 feet away.
The ProfiLux 3 has been designed for the discerning reef keeper that demands 100% proven reliability at all times with the most advanced functions on the market today; this includes the ability to communicate and control many third party units allowing the user to save money on other independent controllers. This includes in the very near future full household automation.
Now that you are intrigued, we can get into the hardware! The ProfiLux 3 consists of all of the following hardware (some may have to be purchased separately):
Hardware Profilux 3 (additional hardware for Profilux 3 eX in parentheses)
- 32Bit-controller – enough reserve of processing power and storage for future extensions
- Inputs for pH-value, temperature, 2 x level (ProfiLux 3 eX has additional inputs for redox, conductivity and one more level sensor)
- 2x expansion slots. Infinite further expansion with the PAB expansion box
- 4x 1-10V-interfaces with additional shut-off signals, dimmable electronic ballasts can be turned completely powerless at 0% (6x for ProfiLux 3 eX )
- 2x connections for ProfiLux II-powerbars
- LAN (WLAN compatible: if a wireless bridge is used, a wireless connection is possible)
- 2x ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (PAB)-Interface
- RS232-port, to connect a SMS-Module or a ProfiLux View, also suited for the connection to PCs, multimedia controller or house automation systems with RS232
- Graphical blue/white display
- Robust key pad
- 6x separately switchable sockets each can be loaded with 15 AMP
- Current measurement for all sockets
- Safety switches in case of a failure of ProfiLux or PAB – sockets then overtake a preprogrammed state (on or off)
Hardware Expansion Box-PAB
- Inputs for pH-value, temperature, conductivity, Redox, 2 x level
- 5x expansion slots
- 4x 1-10V-interfaces (6x for ProfiLux 3 eX ).
That pretty much sums up the hardware aspect. Now it’s time to talk more about what you can actually do with the system.
Functions & Features (dependent on the available hardware)
- Measurement & control of pH-value, temperature, Redox, conductivity (salt or fresh water), oxygen, humidity, air temperature, all sensors are galvanically isolated
- Seasonal temperature courses
- Automatic calibration of all sensors
- Auto top off, automatic water change, leakage detection
- Illumination control for dimmable (1-10V-interfaces or DALI) and non-dimmable lamps, calendar-based moon phases, storms, also seasonally variable illumination possible including thunderstorm simulations using the GHL LED sticks and spots
- AC dimmable ballast controllable eg Phillips advanced mark 10
- Aqua Illumination compatible unlocking the true capabilities of the aqua illumination system
- TMC Aqua Ray controllable
- 8 x Tunze stream controllable with the addition of a single cable, no Tunze controller required. Tunze wave box controllable.
- Hydor Koralia 12v controllable using pump control-1 expansion box
- Pump control for controllable and non-controllable pumps (see above), different pump groups with different settings, waves, ebb-flow, surge, random, sequences, shortest wave duration 0,4 s, therefore also suited for wave boxes
- Dosing pump control, GHL dosing pump systems
- Universal timers, shortest switching time 1s
- Integrated web-server (display of values and configuration, remote programming), own website can be loaded, compatible with all current browsers
- Integrated e-mail-client (sending of e-mails in case of an alarm)
- Reminder functions
- Optical and acoustic alarm
- Feeding pause and maintenance function
- Safety functions, e.g. redundant sensors, monitoring of the sensor function, value check
- Due to simple software updates (device doesn’t need to be opened for this), always the newest functions are available
- Large internal storage for measured values for all sensors, according to the setting, you can store measured values up to several years
- Switch-on delay of sockets after blackout
- Programmable logic
- PC-software available for FREE
- 100%-downwardly compatible: hardware of ProfiLux Plus II can be used further on (e.g. expansion cards, powerbars, ProfiLux View II)
- ProfiLux Plus II can be upgraded to ProfiLux 3, ProfiLux Plus II (eX) can be upgraded to ProfiLux 3 (eX) with an Upgrade-Kit
- Connection of external display and operating units (ProfiLux View-PAB) possible, also several to one system
- Internal clock keeps on running also during a blackout (Goldcap instead of battery, therefore no battery change necessary)
- All settings remain also during blackout
- Universal analog (0 – 10 V) and digital inputs
Permissions and Sources:
All Images are provided by Michael Hall and Aqua Digital Inc, Distributors for GHL ProfiLux GmbH
ProfiLux on Reef Central