Tunze has been extremely busy lately, releasing lots of updated and brand new equipment to beef up their already robust lineup of aquarium products. One of their latest updates includes a redesign of their Tunze DOC Master Skimmer lineup. The first, and probably most notable update to this lineup is Tunze has made two new models, both of which can be run externally. Additionally, the Hydrofoamer pump that powers these skimmers has been moved into the body of the skimmer. A few other updates include the addition of an ozone port, an adjustable water outlet, an internal skimmer chamber, and an intermediate chamber between the skimmer neck and body. Below is a little more information from Tunze.
The characteristic features of the Master DOC skimmer models 9620 / 9640 are primarily ergonomics and efficiency. This new skimmer is a real technical evolution of the conventional external protein skimmer for aquariums. Their high air output is suitable in case of a lot of livestock or sensitive hard corals, in particular, for external operation or directly in the filter tank. Very easy installation and operation; Master DOC skimmers 9620 / 9640 are especially low-noise during operation as well.
- Nipple for ozone connection. Ozone improves the skimming process and at the same time removes any yellowing matter in the aquarium water.
- Adjustable water outlet in order to set moist or dry foam. However, the air output always remains at a maximum and constant flow.
- The skimmed water is drawn in at the lower position of the Master DOC skimmer and is passed to the aquarium. In order to prevent the risk of rupture or loose connections, all PVC pipes are attached tightly in the skimmer housing.
- On account of the special pump chamber, a hundred percent of the water flow through is transported through the Hydrofoamer, permitting Master DOC skimmers 9620 / 9640 to achieve especially high utilisation efficiency, distinctly higher than conventional counter-current skimmers.
- Skimmer cup with large capacity; also contains the foam reactor; can be removed easily.
- Intermediate chamber with phase water: The patented Anti-Overfoaming System® prevents an overfoaming of the skimmer and regulates the skimming action according to surface tension of the aquarium water and water level. The skimmer operates independently and automatically sets its best efficiency.
- TUNZE® Hydrofoamer Silence 9420.04 is a pump specifically developed for protein skimmers. The Hydrofoamer generates large volumes of fine air bubbles with a diameter of between 0.1 to 0.3 mm (.0039 to .011 in.). In this skimmer, the unit achieves an air output of 1,100 l/h (290.5 USgal./h)
at an energy consumption of only 15 W, which makes this air generator top of its product class.
- Water inlet with PVC nipple, diam. 25 mm (.98 in.), at a lower position of the skimmer for a water flow rate of 500 to 1,500 l/h (132 to 396 USgal./h) (Model 9620).