Tip of the Day – 10/23/2011


Some hobbyists use a rock curing process known as “live rock cooking”, where the rock is placed into containers with freshly mixed saltwater and essentially deprived of light for long periods of time, preventing any sort of algae growth and killing the algae already on the rocks. The goal of live rock cooking is to promote bacterial growth, which will consume organic matter that would likely be a source of nitrate and phosphate in an established aquarium. The cooking process will take a couple of months and will require multiple water changes, and each tub of rock will have all sorts of sand and detritus settled on the bottom.


About Author